Summer Reading for Kids
The Jones Library is excited to present our 2023 Kids Summer Reading Challenge — Find Your Voice!
This year our program will be available at all of our locations — Jones, Munson Memorial, and North Amherst Library! Here's how it works:
- Visit! Stop by any of our locations to register for summer reading and pick up your official reading log.
- Read! Anything counts — books, audiobooks, graphic novels, and more!
- Log the minutes you read! This can be done daily or periodically.
- Come back to the library! Bring your log sheet to any of our locations (Jones, Munson Memorial, or North Amherst Library) as often as you would like to have your time checked by a librarian and receive a special sticker.
- Prizes! Every kid who reads 10 hours earns a tote bag! Every kid who reaches the completion goal will be entered into our grand prize raffle and will get to choose a book to keep!
This year's completion goal is reading a total of 20 hours between Saturday, June 17th and Saturday, August 26th.
Here's How It Works (PDF) at a glance.
In addition to our summer reading challenge, we will be offering storytimes, book clubs, performances, and special events all summer long. Check out what's coming!
The goal of our Summer Reading Program is to foster a love of reading by encouraging kids to choose what they read, and to read at their own pace. Readers ages 0 to 10 are encouraged to participate! Just keep track of the time you spend reading on the official logsheet you get when you register. Every participant who reaches a 10 hour goal gets a special tote bag to customize. Every participant who reads 20 hours by August 26th will be entered into our Grand Prize Raffle drawing. Reading independently isn't the only option — we love it when the whole family gets involved. Sharing stories aloud counts as reading time, at any age! So does listening to audiobooks or reading articles. If you are older than 10, check out our Teen Summer Reading Program and Adult Summer Reading Program.
The Massachusetts Statewide Summer Library Program is funded by the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. We'd also like to thank the Friends of the Jones Libraries for supporting the Summer Reading Program!