Application to Exhibit
Application for the Virtual Burnett Gallery Season: June 2024 – May 2025
Application Deadline: 5:00 p.m., Friday, March 1, 2024
The Jones Library is slated to close this spring for expansion and renovation. In-person Burnett Art Gallery exhibits conclude with the January 2024 show. Monthly virtual exhibits on the Jones Library website will resume June 2024 and continue until the Library reopens and in-person art exhibitions fill the walls of a brand-new, well-lit, and more accessible Burnett Gallery.
The Burnett Gallery at the Jones Library is currently accepting applications for ongoing virtual, monthly exhibitions for the upcoming season, June 2024 through May 2025. Since the founding of the Jones Library in 1921, the Burnett Gallery has offered area artists and craftspeople a public space in which to exhibit their work. Collectively, the exhibits aim to reflect a variety of media, styles, cultural viewpoints, and levels of artistic expression. Such shows have been part of the library's programs to encourage appreciation and understanding of art. Individuals or groups in Amherst and surrounding towns are encouraged to submit applications. Submission of artwork in any two-dimensional medium is welcome (including photos of three-dimensional work).
How Exhibits are Selected
The Burnett Gallery Committee, composed of local artists and art supporters, reviews applications annually. The deadline for submission is listed at the top of this page. The Committee may choose to exhibit solo, shared, or group shows in order to accommodate more qualified applicants. For joint exhibitions, the Committee will make every effort to choose applicants who are artistically compatible.
How To Apply
Complete and submit an ONLINE APPLICATION
If you are a single applicant, you may submit up to 6 images; if you are a group of 2 or more applicants, a total of 12 images may be submitted. Images must be in jpeg format and 1920 pixels on the long side. If you experience difficulty in meeting the image specifications, please contact the Reference Desk at email@example.com or 413-259-3096 for assistance.
You will be asked to submit a brief artist’s statement, up to 250 characters.
Finally, you must sign a copy of the Terms of Exhibiting (PDF).
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Terms of Exhibiting
- Artists will be notified of the jury's decision by April 1, 2024.
- Each monthly virtual exhibit includes up to 12 images. If you apply as a group, or if you are selected to exhibit with another artist as explained above, the 12 images will be shared among the exhibitors.
- If you are selected for a show, you will be sent detailed instructions regarding the size and type of images, how to name them, etc.
- The Burnett Committee reserves the right to use any of the images in a show for promotional purposes. Past shows are maintained in an online archive for the public to continue to enjoy.
- You may include a link to a personal site for the purchase of your art.
- A commission of 15% is charged on the sale of works exhibited in the virtual gallery, which is used to cover the operating expenses of the Gallery.
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact Jones Library office staff. They cannot answer questions about the gallery.
Thank you so much for your interest in exhibiting at the Burnett Gallery.