Other Local Programs

This is a list of programs in the Amherst area for international visitors and immigrants.*

Programs & Resources

  • The Center for New Americans
    Free daytime ESL classes for immigrants in downtown Amherst, Northampton & Greenfield.
  • International Language Institute
    Options include: tuition-based Intensive English Program (mornings) and free evening classes (for immigrants only)
  • First Baptist Church
    Free Wednesday morning classes taught by volunteers. The church is located at 434 N Pleasant Street in Amherst and can be reached at 413-549-3596.
  • Holyoke Community College
    Tuition-based daytime ESL classes at 5 different levels. Courses include reading and writing, speaking and listening, grammar, and pronunciation. Financial aid is available for low-income students. There are also evening ESL classes offered through HCC's Division of Continuing Education.
  • MassLinks
    Free online ESL classes two times a week (3 hours each morning) or 2 times a week (2 hours each evening). Translation is available to answer questions and help you register for classes.
  • Round the World Women
    Free activities (trips, parties, speakers, etc.) and conversation groups for international women. The program is run by local volunteers. For information, contact the UMass International Programs Office at 413-545-2843.
  • American Language and Culture Program at UMass
    Intermediate and advanced-level classes on the UMass campus, 6 - 8 PM on Tuesdays (intermediate) and Wednesdays (advanced). $95 per semester.
  • UMass
    Credit-based courses in academic writing, speaking, grammar, and vocabulary to help students master the formal conventions of academic English and meet the expectations of professors and employers in the professional workplace. For registered undergraduates, exchange students, graduate students, teaching assistants, visiting scholars, UMass employees, Five College students, and faculty. Located at 308B Bartlett Hall in Amherst, and can be contacted at 413-545-4210 or by email.

* Visitors are here for a limited time, for example on a tourist, F-1, F-2, or J visa. Immigrants are here to live, work, and stay permanently in the United States.