Resources for Citizenship Tutors
- The Jones Library offers ten citizenship lesson guides (based on the textbook Citizenship: Passing the Test). There is also a plain language step-by-step guide to becoming a citizen, suggested online learning resources for students, and information on requesting a fee waiver.
- The USCIS Citizenship Resource Center offers official information on naturalization requirements, the application, and the test, and provides some free study tools for the English test and the civics test, including audio of the 100 questions/answers and a multiple choice practice test. On its teacher resource page, there are lesson plans, tip sheets, podcasts, and an online course for citizenship educators.
- Lynne Weintraub, ESL Center Coordinator and the author of the “Citizenship: Passing the Test” series, maintains a citizenship educator blog called Citizenship News. You can sign up to receive updates by email, if you like.
- CLINIC (Catholic Legal Immigration Network) has a variety of resources related to citizenship, including a study guide, a Citizenship Handbook, and translations of the 100 civics test questions and answers in many languages.
- The ProLiteracy Education Network offers a variety of resources for citizenship instructors, including 3 online courses, podcasts, and fact sheets on naturalization.
- The Immigrant Legal Resource Center has translations of the citizenship application form (N-400). Although USCIS only accepts the English version, it is vital that applicants understand the questions so they can fill out the form truthfully. Applicants also must be familiar with the questions for the interview because the examiner will review the same information with them (orally) a few months later. Many of the questions use legal/technical terms that limited English speakers may be unfamiliar with. Translations are available in Spanish, Korean, Khmer, Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, Haitian, and Portuguese.
- Also, see the ESL Center’s recommended online independent study links for citizenship students.