Application to Exhibit
NOTE: This application cycle has ended. The Burnett Gallery Committee will review applications and respond to applicants by March 31st.
Application for the Burnett Gallery Season Beginning June 2022
Deadline: 5:00 p.m., Monday, February 28, 2022
The Burnett Gallery in the Jones Library is pleased to invite applications for its ongoing virtual monthly exhibitions during the upcoming season, June 2022 through May 2023. Since the founding of the Jones Library in 1921, the Burnett Gallery has offered area artists and craftspeople a public space in which to exhibit their work. Although the Jones Library is currently open, physical gatherings in the Burnett Gallery are not permitted due to pandemic guidelines. Looking ahead, the Library will be shuttered, as well, for the duration of its upcoming expansion and renovation. Virtual exhibits will continue, therefore, until the building reopens and in-person art exhibitions fill the walls of a brand new, well-lit, and more accessible Burnett Gallery.
Collectively, the exhibits aim to reflect a variety of media, styles, cultural viewpoints, and levels of artistic expression. Such shows have been part of the library's programs to encourage appreciation and understanding of art. Individuals or groups in Amherst and surrounding towns may submit applications. Submission of artwork in any two or three dimensional medium is welcome.
How Exhibits are Selected
The Burnett Gallery Committee, composed of local artists and art supporters, reviews applications annually. The next deadline for submission is listed at the top of this page. The Committee may choose to exhibit one or more artists jointly in order to accommodate a larger number of qualified people. For joint exhibitions, the Committee will make every effort to choose applicants who are artistically compatible.
How To Apply
Complete and submit our online application [CLOSED].
- If you are a single applicant, you may submit up to 6 images; if you are a group of 2 or more applicants, a total of 12 images may be submitted. Images must be in jpeg format and 1920px on the long side. If you experience difficulty in meeting the image specifications, the library staff will assist you. Please contact the Reference Desk at email@example.com or 413-259-3096.
- You will be asked to submit a brief artist’s statement, up to 250 characters.
Terms of Exhibiting
- Artists will be notified of the jury's decision by March 31, 2022.
- Each monthly virtual exhibit includes up to 24 images. If you apply as a group, or if you are selected to exhibit with another artist as explained above, the 24 images will be shared among the exhibitors.
- If you are selected for a show, you will be sent detailed instructions as to the size and type of images, how to name them, etc.
- The Burnett Committee reserves the right to use any of the images in a show for promotional purposes. Past shows are maintained in an online archive for the public to continue to enjoy.
- You may include a link to a personal site for purchase of your art.
- A commission of 15% is charged on the sale of works exhibited in the virtual gallery, which is used to cover the operating expenses of the Gallery.
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact Jones Library office staff. They cannot answer questions about the gallery application process.
Thank you for your interest in exhibiting at the Burnett Gallery.